This 149 year old Institution, the second oldest of its kind in INDIA and a paradise of a place, with Deodar & Palm fringed roads,crystal clear Pools and emerald green playgrounds invites a journey into its sanctum sanctorum . Life goes on like an ever flowing stream,meeting on its way that which occurs.Yet as time advances,we have to adapt ourselves to suit the surroundings. Established in 24th November 1856 occupying three rooms in Writers' Building to meet the requirement of trained Engineering personnel for Public Works Department as Civil Engineering College ,was affiliated to the Calcutta University in May 1857 .
From 1865 to 1879 the College functioned as Civil Engineering Department of Presidency College. In 1880 the college shifted to it's new and permanent home the lush campus at Bishop's College, Howrah. It got its name, Bengal Engineering College in 1921.