Welcome to the website of the Department of Architecture Town and Regional Planning (established in 1949) that offered the First Degree in Architecture and the First Diploma in Town Planning in INDIA.
The Department of Architecture, Town and Regional Planning offers the following programmes:
Bachelor of Architecture
Master of Town and Regional Planning
Ph. D. program
All the courses are approved by AICTE, Council of Achitecture, New Delhi and Institute of Town Planners' India, as applicable.
The vision of our Department is to carry forward our legacy that aims in making a student aware of the cultural, social, historical and technological aspects of design from the micro to the global scale with the aim to enhance quality of life on individuals and communities through a sustainable and humane approach to the profession, rooted in responsible use of resources and sensitive to ethno-cultural diversity of human kind.
To engage our students in an exemplary architectural education program that has as its backbone a diversified and comprehensive curriculum that encourages independent innovative thinking through teaching, research and service in an unprejudiced and ethical academic environment reverent to history, culture and heritage and dynamic enough to embrace the challenges of the future.
Areas of Research under Ph.D. Programme:
Areas identified for the future development:
Presently the department has developed several state of the art facilities for the benefit of the students, such as Material Museum for permanent display of samples of building materials, Computer Aided Architectural Design laboratory, Multimedia Simulation Laboratory and Remote Sensing and GIS laboratory. Department sub-domaining was done to facilitate wired and Wi-fi Internet connection to all class rooms, studios and laboratories.
Consultancy and Project work
The consultancy activity of the department is active since its early days and is continuing with prestigious clientele including Central and State Governments and large corporate houses. In the 50s the department was involved in designing Durgapur Steel City of West Bengal and had taken part in the development of Kalyani and Haldia township design, design of Low Cost Houses in National level, etc.under the able leadership of Prof. Joseph Allen Stein and others.
In the recent years the projects dealt with included design of Townships, large housing projects, Conservation and Heritage building management, Environmental planning, Municipal planning, Wetland management, Biodiversity assessment, Joint forest management, application of Remote Sensing and GIS in Urban and Regional Planning etc. The department is equipped to share its expertise in Tall Structures and Multi-storied buildings, specialized buildings and structures like auditoriums, stadiums and Institutional buildings, Earthquake resilient structures and retrofitting. The social outreach program include rural development, alternative building materials and technology, and participation in poverty amelioration programs.
The prestigious project of Writers' Buildings: Renovation, Restructuring and Remodellinghas been awarded to this Department by the Government of West Bengal in July 2013, jointly with Department of Architecture, Jadavpur University.
1949 - 1952 in Architecture: Prof. G. K. Paknikar
1949 - 1952 in Town and Regional Planning: Prof. Abani K. Dey
1952 - 1955: Prof. Joseph Allen Stein
1956 - 1959: Prof. Eduardo Sacriste
1959 - 1960: Prof. J. A Cordes
1960 - 1967: Prof. G. K. Paknikar
1967 - 1979: Prof. Abani Kumar Dey
1979 - 1980: Prof. Kamal Krishna Pal Choudhury
1980 - 1981: Prof. Abani Kumar Dey1981 - 1996: Prof. Jaydeb Sarkar
1996 - 1999: Prof. Chittalal Chakraborti
1999 - 2002: Prof. Manju Haldar
2003 - 2006: Prof. Manju Haldar
2006 - 2009: Prof. Sibabrata Haldar
2009 - 2011: Prof. Aditya Bandyopadhyay
2011 - May, 2013: Prof. Souvanic Roy
June 2013 till date: Prof. Arup Sarkar
Seminars, Conferences and Symposia
The Department has conducted several Seminars, Conferences and Symposia over the years and contributed greatly in the process of Nation Building. List of completed and upcoming events are given below:
The History of the Department
A Diploma in Town and Regional Planning, the FIRST-EVER course in India, was also introduced in 1949, which was converted into a full time post graduate degree course in 1974.
The Department of Architecture Town and Regional Planning of Bengal Engineering and Science University, the pioneering institute in Architecture and Town Planning education in India, has most proudly produced about 1000 graduates in Architecture and more than 300 post graduates in Town and Regional Planning in it's glorious 64 years of existence.
Prof. G. K. Paknikar was the first Head of the Department of Architecture. Prof. Abani K. De was the first Head of the Department of Town and Regional Planning.
Prof. Eduardo Sacriste, an eminent architect of Argentina, joined as the HOD in 1956 and continued till 1960.
Another eminent architect from Buenos Aires and a Professor of School of Architecture of Tucuman, Prof. J. A. Cordes, joined in 1960 and continued till 1964 as the HOD.
Mr. Kunjbehari Kirtikar was a professional architect practicing in Calcutta, and since the inception in 1949 he shouldered great responsibilities of teaching various subjects. His last visit was in 1982, when he came as the examiner of thesis viva voce. Along with him, contributions of legendary teachers such as Prof. S.C. Mukherjee, Prof. S.C. Chatterjee and Mr. Gobinda Chandra Roy will ever be remembered with utmost reverence and deepest gratitude.
Over the years many eminent architects, town planners, engineers and professionals have visited the department, notable amongst which are the visits of Warner Max Moser in 1951, Mary Jaqueline Tyrwhitt in 1952, Richard Neutra in 1954, Maxwell Fry in 1958 and Sir Richard Buckminster Fuller in 1960.
Sir Fuller conducted a three-day workshop on "Tensegrity Structure" with the students of Architecture and Civil Engineering.
Recent visits include Ar. Rafiq Azam from Bangladesh in 2012.
The Picture Gallery
"In 1954 the lift was yet to be installed in the 1st lobby of the Main building. Mr. Neutra declared that he was an old man and was unable to climb up the stairs. The students requested him to sit on a chair and carried him to the department in the 2nd floor." .. as recollected by Mr. Deba Prasad Maitra, 1954 first batch.
These photographs of the visit of Sir Fuller were found inside a sealed envelop when an iron chest of the department, whose key was lost long ago, was forced open in 2011.
The photographs and the people were identified, and the event was recollected, by Mr. Dipak Majumder, 1963 batch, an eye witness.